All hunters who are lovers of hunting always have one headache. Fletching it is! Fletching glue ensures that the vanes are secured well as your arch. So this means that as a hunter you should not only carry glue but also know how to fletch. In the market, there is a horde of glue that can be used for fetching but of different quality and intensity.
Choosing the right glue will save you the shame and difficulties that could be experienced while hunting. Therefore it calls for proper research that needs to be conducted in the market and some of this review can be found a home. This review article seeks to bring to your attention the best fletching glue in the market for your consideration now and into the future.
Best Fletching Glues in 2020
- G5 Outdoors G-Lock Blu Glue 20g
- Gorilla Super Glue Gel, 15 Gram, Clear, (Pack of 12)
- Gorilla 7700104 Super Glue Gel
- Gorilla Original Waterproof Polyurethane Glue, 36-ounce Bottle, Brown, (Pack of 1)
- Loctite Liquid Professional Super Glue 20-Gram Bottle (1365882)
- Gorilla Super Glue Gel, Two 3 Gram Tubes, Clear, (Pack of 1)
- Gorilla Original Waterproof Polyurethane Glue, 2-ounce Bottle, Brown, (Pack of 4)
All the fletching glues are the best but have different features as they will be discussed below. What will be discussed majorly will be the product description, details, Pros, and Cons.
01. G5 Outdoors G-Lock Blu Glue 20g
A product of the G5 outdoor is the glue that has gained popularity in recent years. It is the glue that is a perfect outdoor usage that you can rely on for fletching. The tension test on the glue revealed that it can hold up to 50 lbs. The thinness of the glue works well and holds well that the vane will hold on tight. It is perfect for both installing inserts and fletching arrows. As a result of its watery state, the glue provides a clean arrow look after it dries clear.
- G5 Blue-Glu offers a solid and flexible bond.
- Instant adhesion in seconds. It dries incredibly fast. However, you must leave them for a night.
- G-lock is a little diluter than most of the other glues. It dries clear and provides a clean arrow look.
- The blue color makes it easy to see glue coverage.
- Sets in 5 minutes, fully cured in 24 hours.
- Removal is not easy unless one uses a sharp knife.
- The price-performance ratio fits in well.
- The bottle of the glue reseals well. It does not dry us even after reuses unless you leave the bottle
Product Dimensions: 1.5 x 4.5 x 7.5 inches; 0.64 ounces
Shipping Weight: 2.4 ounces
Domestic Shipping: Item can be shipped within the U.S.
International Shipping: This item is not eligible for international shipping
- Provides rock-solid bond where applied
- Offers high performance in comparison to its price.
- Dries fast (in a couple of minutes)
- The blue translucent formula makes it easier for one to see the coverage hence removing excess drip before drying up.
- Fantastic customer service
- It is watery hence can easily flow out if not carefully applied before it sticks. The applicator tip is big too.
- The glue thickens over the years
- Does not dry up completely when applied on a wrap. Shows up a little.
02. Gorilla Super Glue Gel, 15 Gram, Clear, (Pack of 12)
The brand Gorilla glue is the leading brand globally which can be attributed to the quality of the glue it produces. The glue is made of a high-performance formula that enhances it works well on several materials. The design of the bottle ensures that air is expelled when closing after using it. Therefore this enabled the glue to maintain its liquid nature rather than drying. The glue holds strong and ungluing will take time and energy. Due to the nature of this glue, it is recommended that one wears gloves to ensure that it does not drip on the skin.
- The glue is formulated to absorb drops, impacts, and shocks.
- Also referred to as cyanoacrylate glue which works on several materials such as plastic, material, fabric, stone, paper, rubber and more
- Easy to use, thicker, and more controlled formula to be used on multiple surfaces.
- Has a high-performance formula.
- Has an anti-clog cap with a metal pin inside which helps to seal so prevent air hence maximum reusability.
- Besides using it for fletching, it is not advisable to be used on polythene paper and plastics.
- For high performance and usability, the adhesive needs to be kept away from the air.
- On buying it may seem that the glue is half full but it is because of the thick plastic bottle.
- The bottle is not filled to make it easier for one to squeeze the glue out.
- The glue should not be used on the skin intentionally.
Manufacturer: Gorilla Glue
Part Number: 7600101-12
Item Weight: 1.5 pounds
Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 4.13 x 12 inches
Item model number: 7600101-12
Is Discontinued By Manufacturer: No
Size: 12 Pack
Style: 15 g
Item Package Quantity: 1
Included Components: Pack of 12
- It’s very effective. You need just a bit of a few drops on a surface.
- Dries up fast
- It is not costly
- Leaves some chemical reaction after usage
- Dries up in the plastic if left for a long period without usage.
03. Gorilla 7700104 Super Glue Gel, 1-Pack
The glue is one of the best products ever produced by the brand Gorilla. A high controlled formula enables the user to apply on different materials which means that one can apply it not only when fletching but also on other household uses. The drying period of the glue is between 10 to 45 seconds and it is developed to last long. The anti-clogging cap is another feature that ensures that there is no unnecessary spillage on the skin or unwanted surfaces. It also helps prevent the glue from drying by keep air away.
- The glue is thick and easy to use with a controlled formula that can be applied on many surfaces.
- Dries very fast within 10-45 seconds.
- Developed for long-lasting repairs.
- Formulated to absorb drops, impacts, and shocks.
- Has an anti-clog cap with a metal pin to ensure that it’s airtight.
- Its service temperatures are between 65 Degrees Fahrenheit to 220 Degrees Fahrenheit
Manufacturer: Gorilla Glue
Part Number: 7700104
Item Weight: 0.8 ounces
Product Dimensions : 1.25 x 3.38 x 6.63 inches
Item model number: 7700104
Is Discontinued By Manufacturer: No
Size” 1 Pack
Style : 20 g
- The glue container does not glue to the hands
- Easy to use and holds tight where applied
- Being a gel makes it easier to only apply on areas needed unlike watery glues
- Does not dry fast on the container after being left unused
- It is cost-effective concerning performance ratio. The price of the glue and the service it will offer is right.
- Its viscosity makes the glue not follow easily on deep areas that are applied
- Because it’s a gel, it gluing coverage is lesser than the watery glue. You will need a lot of getting to cover where small water glue could have covered.
4. Gorilla Original Waterproof Polyurethane Glue
The product is one of the first to be launched by the company when there was not much glue for fletching. It has been labeled as the toughest glue on earth by several hunting associations. The brown color enhances its beautiful design. Its activated polyurethane formula ensures that the product is 100% waterproof and can be safely used outdoor. Even during the rainy season, one is assured of the safety of the vane as it can withstand the water.
- The first product to be launched.
- It has water activated polyurethane formula that forms a strong bond between materials when applied.
- The glue is 100% waterproof and safe outdoor.
- The solution can be used on metals, glass, and some plastics.
- The toughest glue on earth.
- Prepare and dampen the surfaces: the surfaces should be clean, dust-free, and tight-fitting. For shiny surfaces such as metals.
- Evenly apply the oil into the dry surface.
- Clamp the services together tightly.
- Clean up using a dry cloth.
- After usage wipe the bottle’s lid and nozzle clean with a dry cloth
Part Number: BADHGG17
Item Weight: 2.25 pounds
Product Dimensions : 3 x 3 x 12 inches
Item model number: 5023601
Is Discontinued By Manufacturer: No
Size : 1 – Pack
- Holds things as old at it has been in the market of over 40 years.
- Bottle design makes it easier to remove the glue, and easier to expel air before storage.
- Needs to be sparingly applied and holds fast
- The bottle can be used for another sort of things or work
- Can be used effectively during the extreme winter periods.
- Leaves stains if it gets on your hands for a couple of days and tough to remove from the skin.
- It’s Costly. The price of the quantity sold in comparison with other glue is quite higher.
05. Loctite Liquid Professional Super Glue
Loctite glue is a multipurpose glue that can be used to fletch and as well in the house. The glue bond within seconds speaks for itself as one of the best options you can rely on to fletch for those who want to try other options. In the house, it can bind rubbers, plastics, and glues. Even outdoor the glue is very effective for uses that are not related to hunting. The dispensing design helps the user to regulate its usage hence reducing wastage. This has been enhanced by controlled dripping reducing chances of clamping.
- Professional strength ingredients that work fast and hold strong.
- The fast-setting formula that resists moisture, cold periods, and other chemicals.
- Pinpoint nozzle ensures the application is easy without oozing and misuse which is patented.
- Screw-on cap clean and seals nozzle for clog-free application.
- Dries clear without clamping.
- Ideal for heavy-duty projects and repairs.
- Dries within 30 seconds of applying.
- Waterproof and solvent resistant.
Part Number : 1365882
Item Weight : 0.32 ounces
Product Dimensions : 1 x 4 x 7 inches
Item model number : 1365882
Is Discontinued By Manufacturer : No
- It is thin and easy to apply.
- Solid glue for all purposes and on all extreme conditions
- It is cheap in comparison with the rest
- Has a low viscosity which is ideal for close-fitting and bond smoothing.
- Self-piercing and the screw-on cap ensure that air is kept out making the glue to stay flesh. Quickly in 5 seconds holds together joined pieces
- Tough to remove once it struck on your fingers. The effects are tough that it will eat unto your skin and cause permanent scars if not removed very fast.
- Since it dries up easy fast, it can mess up if fixing is not done fast.
06. Gorilla Super Glue Gel, Two 3 Gram Tubes
The glue is not watery like many other glue brands. The cost of the glue is relatively cheap though the packaging is in small quantity. Its gel-like state ensures that one cannot easily spill it on other services. Its design and formulation absorb drops, impacts, and shocks alike within an average of 30 seconds. The gel though can dry easily if left open in the bottle exposed to the air for even minutes. The advantage is that the glue contains a clogging cap that helps to seal it airtight.
- Easy to use and thick.
- It has a controlled formula that can be used on multiple surfaces and vertical applications.
- Developed for long-lasting repairs in an instant.
- It dries in 10-45 seconds. Designed and formulated to absorb drops, impacts, and shocks.
- For high performance and usability, the adhesive needs to be protected from air.
- The gel should not be used for intentional contact with the skin.
- Has an anti-clog cap with a metal pin inside to ensure it has an airtight seal for maximum reusability.
Manufacturer: Gorilla Glue
Part Number: 7820001
Item Weight: 0.816 ounces
Product Dimensions: 0.59 x 6.63 x 3.38 inches
Item model number: 7820001
Is Discontinued By Manufacturer” No
Size: 1 Pack
Installation Method: Self-Adhesive
Item Package Quantity: 1
Included Components: Glue
- Firm bond when applied
- Works fast and on ceramic.
- Inexpensive and most likely will be used before it dries out.
- Easy to use packaging.
- Easily restores the shape to the original shape before it got broken.
- Can drip if you are not super careful
- It oozes when putting the cap back which will likely leave the mess.
07. Gorilla Original Waterproof Polyurethane Glue
The Gorilla original waterproof glue was first made by the brand that has a water-activated polyurethane formula. Since its inception to the retail shops, there have been improvements on the glue making it dependable glue. Notable improvements have been it had an incredible bonding capability. The glue is loved by old hunters who have relied on it for all these years. A key feature of this glue is that it is 100% waterproof and can be used for other roles within the homestead. The glue contains clear instructions on how it should be applied.
- The product that started it all.
- The original glue built a name for itself with incredible holding power and versatility.
- The water-activated polyurethane formula which expands into materials forming an incredible and versatile holding power
- Gorilla glue is 100% waterproof glue.
- The usage can be done both indoor and outdoor and strong enough to stand up to the elements.
- Prepare and dampen the surfaces. All surfaces must be clean and dust-free.
- Evenly apply the glue unto the dry surfaces. Do not over apply. We recommend that you wear gloves while handling it.
- Clamp the two services together tightly. The clamping pressure should be applied evenly. Clamping should be done for between 1-2 hours.
- Clean up. Once the glue is dry remove it mechanically. Try sanding, chiseling, scraping, or picking. Storage tips. After each use, wipe the bottle’s lid and nozzle clean.
Manufacturer: Gorilla Glue
Part Number: 5000206
Item Weight: 15.8 ounces
Product Dimensions: 5.25 x 3.75 x 6.75 inches
Item model number: 5000206
Size : 4 – Pack
Item Package Quantity: 1
Included Components: 2 oz. Gorilla Glue (4)
- Hold together really tightly
- Has a good performance to price ratio
- High waterproof makes it the favorite
- Great balance between usability and curing time
- The bottle is much easier to be squeezed
- The glue can be messy and sticky if not applied well.
- No grab therefore the clamping has to be in place.
Best Fletching Glue Buying Guide
Every hunter wants to get the best result while fletching. The glue plays a central role to ensure that the arrow set up is done perfectly. A shoddily done arrow will have negative effects as the arrow may not shoot straight among other effects. Below are some of the considerations before choosing a glue to use.
Not all hunters are fletchers. Some hire services of professional fletchers to help them. If you fletch using your arrows, then it is easier to choose certain glue which you prefer. The otherwise needs some consideration. The fact that as a hunter you may love a certain brand, get to consult with the fletcher so that he advises you if he has experience using the glue. It is important as it reduces the complaints whereby the fletcher may give a substandard job and blame it on the glue.
Choosing the right category
Before choosing the right glue one needs to understand the two types of the fletching glue. They are solvent-based glue and CA which is Cyanoacrylate. Solvent-based glue is thick with the ability to bond almost immediately while the other takes time to bond but it is resistant to the harsh weather conditions. Solvent-based are more durable and they will take in time before they set in. CA gets in fast but it’s less durable.
It is a critical consideration. Normally, the setup time should be in minutes. Some glues coupled with the hunter’s expertise may take a few more minutes. Some of these though they may take time, end up forming a durable bond. Such glue will be ineffective it hurriedly applied. We suggest that you time yourself so that you do not get a low-quality product. Alternatively, you can check on other glue that set up time is not long.
Cost for buying fletcher Glue
The costly fletching glue does not translate into the best results automatically but it contributes. The costs could be added as a result of the packaging method rather than the quality of the glue itself. If you are on a fixed small budget therefore you will need to choose the glue that will not be expensive. Some glues will fulfill your fletching needs that will not break your bank account. However, you need not compromise quality. During the hunting period, the glue companies do give discounts on every purchase. Taking advantage of this is highly encouraged.
It is clear that as the business environment becomes favorable, new glue companies will enter the market. Quality notwithstanding, you may need to choose either to stick with the already established brands or risky to try the new brands which may look appetizing with their marketing gimmicks. Sticking with the old brands may also bring a challenge of not moving with the technology as their quality is maybe superior. Important to note, not all the good brands fit the bill as some offer substandard products.
Fellow Hunters preference
Who could not want to associate with professional gamers? Hunters’ preference is a good route that is encouraged. This option is best for a new hunter if you consider what other professional hunters and fletchers use. Perhaps you can identify this by getting to know which glue sells out fast in stores in your region or the area you want to go hunting. The professional hunters have had a lot of experience from this and know the better glue, which will be of help as you start the world of hunting.
Fletching Glue Quality
Fletching’s glue quality will determine its strength and durability. This will also be determined by the ingredients used. High-quality glue will be consistent in thickness keeping the vanes and arrows intact. Hence this will reduce the costs of buying a new one. Some glue cannot be used after two months of opening it. While some will last for a year after opening if kept safely. Fletching glue that is of less quality may harm the vanes. The effects may spill to your body if you have contact which includes chemical reaction with the skin.
Choosing a Store
Different stores offer different delivery services and great customer care. You will need to check reviews online or with friends to identify the best store. Some will deliver the product in hours while others may take days. Getting your products from a store will also determine the authenticity of the product and how safe it is handled. Reputable stores have invested heavily in their storage and delivery model.
Yes, packaging matters. Any product that is not packaged well will easily get damaged or go to waste and this applies to all glue. Get a brand that invests in proper packaging. The packaging should be lean so that you can be able to carry the glue around in the field. Furthermore, packaging needs to be overboard, so that as the glue moves from the factory to the retail stores, it does not affect the quality of the glue.
Flexibility of Usage
Hunters travel long distances into the forest, town, or country to get the game. The trips will be for different reasons. If you travel outside your town or country, you may need to know by yourself with the glues that can be found across countries. Such brands can be accessed easily when they are needed. Such will easily be borrowed by hunters you may meet at the hunting grounds.
There are other uses for glue and this has to be considered before you order from a store. Besides using the glue to fletch, there are other purposes the glue can be used for. Such other uses are broken plastics, torn shoes, broken parts of the vehicle, electronics, woods, metals to be joined, etc. You do not need to inquire about other expenses if the glue can be used in your homestead. We suggest this to be a strong consideration unless you have superglue that can serve other purposes.
Glue Usage Instructions
For newbies even the experienced, you will need to know how the glue is being used before you buy it. Cramping differs from one fletching glue to another. The instructions on the bottles must be the same while applying for the glue. Any variation will need to be reported to the customer care for complaint registration and returning. Moreover, make sure that you pick the right vanes to be used on the arrows. Usage instructions vary from single brand glue to another, so if you are changing the glue keep this on the back of your mind.
Some glue is more adhesive than others. The more adhesive the glue does mean that it is better than the least. The more adhesive glue is meant one needs to be quick when joining otherwise it will dry up. The least adhesive glue may not help a hunter who is already late for the hunt. The glue may turn out to be a mess when used for fletching. This can be as a result of the excessive application. Choosing glue that will not create a mess is crucial. Gel glue is recommended. All in all, no matter the situation you are in ensuring that you are in control of the glue.
Recommendation for the Vane and Arrow Shaft makers
Manufacturers of the arrow shaft and vanes always try to test their products against several types of glue before they are released into the market. Some vane
manufactures may recommend the best glue that will fit into their vanes. This is important to have a good function arrow that will not disappoint while hunting. Some of these recommendations could be made by these glues, which will always their products against quality concerns. Get recommendations from vane manufacturers that have no affiliations with the glue producers to be safe.
Availability of the Fletching Jig and protective gear
Fletching jig is an item that is used to apply the glue without touching it. If the glue comes with the jig, that could be awesome. It will enable you to avoid any spillage that could be disastrous. Protective gear such as gloves will help the user to avoid touching the glue by his bare hands. Brands that offer such, really value the hunters and it could be a point of consideration. However, provision of the jig and protective gear may come with added costs that need to be factored in.
The glue may drip to the table or on other important items. Since many types of glue hold ‘firm’, it becomes a challenge to remove them until under special conditions. On the other hand, there will be a need to remove the glue for reapplying if in any case it was not applied correctly. Some glue will be a thorn in the flesh when trying to unglue. If you often make mistakes while fletching, then considers glue that will be easily unglued. The ungluing materials to easily remove it should be easily found in the homestead rather than buying at the shop.
The clogging cap ensures that that unnecessary spillage is avoided. All hunters agree that the spillage from the bottle is disgusting. Some brands do not have an anti-clogging cap which makes it messy for the users. Making sure the fletching glue you are buying has the clogging cap before ordering is important to avoid any disappointments. New upcoming brands have invested more on a better clogging cap in comparison with the already established brands. Besides clogging up, the bottle containing the glue must be designed in a way that one can pour out the glue in an organized way.
Materials to be applied
Some vanes are made of different components such as metals, woods, or plastics. Some glue will eat the plastics hence a key consideration while some will work pretty well. Another contemplation to be made is getting glue that can connect plastic vanes to a metal arrow shafts. Some glue can be applied to certain plastics. Many brands blankets that the glue can be applied on all plastics which is not true. As one fletch, proper research needs to be done. We suggest that you use the glue that can be used across the materials easily.
All liquids, including glue, have a certain climatic temperature that they operate optimally. At certain temperatures, degrees, the glue will either become too liquid or turn into solid ice. When hunting during hot sunny periods or cold periods, choosing the right glue will ensure that even in those adverse periods, it will give you the best results. Use of trusted glue will likely keep your worries away as you focus on getting the best results from the best results while you hunt. The different climate conditions also affect the time it takes for the glue to dry. The extreme climate will result in some glue loosening up.
Alternatives for the fletching glue
Fletching cement is an option that can be used in place of glue. All of them serve the same purpose however, the glue is more effective and lasting in comparison to the cement. Also, the costs to performance favor the glue.
In the 21st century, nations and individuals want to keep the environment clean. The only way to ensure that the future generations get to benefit and enjoy hunting it to ensure that the environment is kept clean which includes wild animals. Choosing products that conserve the environment is a step in the right direction. Promoting glue companies that are supporting such causes not ensures that they remain afloat but gives a push and encourages them to do even more. Recycling and reusing of packaging materials is a commendation that needed to be applauded. Let’s promote the green movement.
Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ)
Describe the role of the fletching glue?
This is a special super glue that is used to stick together with your arrows shafts to the vanes. It is specifically designed for this purpose however it can be used for others’ chores in a household.
Is it necessary to fletch my arrow?
Yes, it is. Many times an un-fetched arrow causes the arrow to miss a shot. Fletching improves arrow stability and helps you to get an accurate shot.
What is the CA Glue?
It is an acrylic resin that contains molecules that are adhesive link up and form strong chains when in touch with water.
What Is an Arrow Shaft?
These are arrows that are made from a horde of things. They can be wood, carbon, or aluminum.
What is a Fletching Jig?
This is a material like a stick that is used to apply glue to the shaft.
What is the Role of a Fletching Clamp?
It is an item that holds in place firmly while attaching fletching.
What is the difference between a Fletching Glue and Superglue?
They both serve the same purpose except that the fletching glue is stronger. You may use superglue but it won’t hold for long.
Tips and Trick for applying the glue.
- Keep a rag nearby when applying the glue to remove the excess glue from the arrow shaft and tools.
- Glue applicators make work easier when applying glue.
- If there are challenges with adhesion, by use of a scrubber can help create a resilient connection. Also, it will help remove the excess bond from the previous fletching that was applied.
- For more forte place a trivial drip of glue on the two ends of your fletching. It will increase durability thereby reducing chances of vane getting off the arrow.
- Particular glue will work well on some other materials. Superglue is good for all-round adhesive but will work poorly on the aluminum shafts.
- Use denatured alcohol to clean the shaft. Rubbing alcohol most often has some oil that will make the whole exercise ineffective.
- Arrow wraps make fletching a lot easier when applying color to the arrows makes the customized and easy to find of you miss your target.
Steps to effective fletching
There is no single way that has been proved for fletching as it varies from one glue to another as per in instructions given by the manufacturer. However, there are general steps that can easily be applied for this sole purpose to ensure that cleaning of the shaft is thorough before installing.
The first step is to scrape off the old glue and vanes with a knife. This has to be done carefully so as not to damage the shaft. Alternatively, using acetone can help much. Secondly when soaking does not allow it to soak in as it may damage the shaft. Put the shaft under warm and using a brute rough it up gently.
Dry up the shaft with a dry piece of cloth. Clean the area using alcohol that has no scent. Place the vane in a jig and press it into the shaft and ensure there is no movement. Hold on for a minute or two to ensure that they get the maximum bond that is required.
Ever wondered how many arrows one should have fletched? You need just a few arrows and not hundreds unless you are an arrow vendor. You may use a single arrow or two to get a game. Some of the arrows may not get to the game and when that happens; do not leave the arrow in the field. As a fighter, you can leave to fight another day. That is why you need to paint then a color that you can easily identify with. As you fletch the most important reminder at the back of the mind is ensuring the arrows are ready and in good shape before going into the field. It can be easily done when using the right glue.
The underlining factor is that no glue is bad, the application matters. Identify one glue type from the list that has been reviewed and use it for your fletching. The convenience of fletching your arrows must be anchored on ensuring that each day you get to learn by following the instructions which are applied as you fletch. Consult the analysis on this product review and the buyer guide to identify the most ideal glue for you from the above list. You can always share your experiences with us!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.